Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 Patriot Day

The anniversary of this day always has such an impact on me. The memories come flooding back…
The confusing first reports.
The horror as we heard more.
The rush of people in the train station from the evacuation of the Sears Tower. All trying to leave the city as I was trying to get in.
The evacuation of the Wrigley Building where I work.
The eerie silence of the city, when I finally felt brave enough to leave.
Listening late at night with my husband to the incredible silence. All planes were grounded. Living close to O’Hare all our lives we had never heard such silence at home.
Even more scary, the occasional loud rush of a military jet shrieking by.

Even now, when I see a very low plane or hear an extra loud one, I gasp. During our visit to NYC a few months ago, we visited ground zero. With all the construction, the impact isn’t the same. It was the little things that had the big impact on me, especially visiting St. Paul’s. The memorials there are incredibly moving. http://www.saintpaulschapel.org/The tree that saved St. Paul's:
For our generation, this day will never be the same.

“Deep in my heart I do believe that we shall live in peace someday.” -Anonymous

Blessings, Patti

4 comments:

~Tonya said...

Such a terrible day. There is still such sadness...I feel for all of the families, of all the lives lost.

I think the fence with all of the cut outs and such is neat. Sad, but neat. I have not seen any of these pictures.

Thank you for sharing Patti.

Blessings,
~Tonya

La Donna Welter said...

I did not realize how 9/11 touched Chicago.

Blessings,
La Donna

Patti said...

The photos of the memorials on the fence are actually tiles made by NYC school chidren. They will be part of the memorial when it is completed.

The photos were taken during our trip to NYC a few months ago.

Blessings, Patti

Cookie said...

I can totally relate to what you are saying - I work right by the airport too and when jets approach from a different angle and fly so low overhead, it's instant panic!

Such moving photos, Patti - I hope we never never forget !