Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In memoriam




Every Memorial Day I visit the cemetery. I alternate between the two cemeteries where my grandparents are buried. This year I visited my maternal grandparents at Bohemian National Cemetery in Chicago. Founded in 1877, it is one of two Chicago cemeteries on the National Register of Historic Places.



I have been coming here as long as I can remember, then visiting great-grandparents and other relatives buried here as well. It may sound odd, but it feels like home to me...


There are so many angels and masoleums here.
I noticed on this visit that most of the angels are holding a lily facing down. I think I need to research why this is...


It is such a peaceful place.



Except for this statue:



It creeped me out as a child and it still does.

But hopefully the family found solace in it.


On Memorial Day, I also pulled the wool for my next project:


Unfortunately, after a week I still haven't gotten any farther than that.


Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up again soon and will share some progress.

"We are sure of this because Christ was raised from the dead, and he will never die again. Death no longer has any power over him. When he died, he died once to break the power of sin. But now that he lives, he lives for the glory of God. So you also should consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ Jesus."
~Romans 6:9-11


Blessings, Patti

2 comments:

marly said...

Yikes. That statue creeps me out too. Old cemeteries have such beautiful stonework and interesting memorials.

Roberta said...

Interesting observation about the lilies. Did you find out what that signifies? I wonder if it has something to do with the earthly life being over? Beautiful statues--looks very serene and comforting (for the most part). ~Roberta