Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I'm back!

 
My favorite week of the year is over...
Our week "unplugged" in the woods of Northern Wisconsin.
 
But as an accountant, I like to take things in order and realize I never shared our family trip from July.
 
I hate to admit it, but our sons and I have never been to Washington D.C.
My husband was there on a quick trip once, just long enough to know that he wanted to go back and see more.
We knew that we had to rectify this and we really wanted to visit as a family.

 
We stayed in Georgetown. Filled with lovely restaurants and...
 
 
interesting shops.

 
Just down the street was the home that John F. Kennedy lived in while running for President.
 
 
The home that Jackie Kennedy and her children moved into immediately after his assassination.
 
 
And the home that she and her children lived in until the tourist traffic became too much for them.

 
We spent one day visiting all the monuments

 
How powerful and moving they are!

 
especially the Vietnam Memorial

 
and those heartfelt treasures left there.

 
We saw the White House from afar

 
And the Washington Monument

 
The Supreme Court Building was beautiful and powerful.

 
We saw the Capital Building both inside and out.

 
And the Library of Congress as well.
 
 
I think that was my favorite building. I've always loved libraries!

 
The monuments at night were stunning as well.

 
And very emotional.
 
 
Day 2 was spent visiting as many museums as we could.
Visiting and viewing the important documents -
Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Constitution at the National Archives.
The Star Spangled Banner that inspired Francis Scott Keyes.
 
And not so important items that were fun, nonetheless :
 
 
Edith and Archie Bunker's chairs :)

 
We spent time at the Botanic Gardens
 
 
And the wonders they held, both large

 
and small.
 
 
Day 3 was spent at Arlington National Cemetery.

 
The changing of the guard in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity.
How do they do it?!

 
The never-ending graves were profound and moving.
Such an incredible sacrifice!

 
Our final stop was Mount Vernon.
I kept thinking - Now I need to stitch Plum Street Sampler's George and Martha! :)

 
It was such a blessing to experience and share this quick trip with our family.
We were all moved and have a new appreciation for our incredible country.
It may have its faults, but we are blessed to live in the U.S. of A.
 
I did finish a bit of stitching on our trip, but this post is long enough.
I will share it another day :)
 
But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.
~2 Corinthians 10:17-18
 
Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

Ahhh...my old stomping grounds. Is it not one of the most beautiful cities you have ever see? I was born right down the street from George and Martha's place in old towne Alexandria. Did you see Clyde's In Georgetown? I worked there for a few years while attending American University...lots of memories from all over Georgetown. Looks as if you hit all the best spots. I think I was about seven the first time I went to the Archives and was so thrilled to see the Declaration. We visited the Supreme Court a few years ago to see oral arguments and have my husband and members of our group sworn in...it was a wonderful experience.
I never get tired of seeing and hearing about D.C.!!! When you were at Iowa Jima you were about about a half mile from my first apartment. I'm with you...the Library of Congress has always been my favorite...thank you to Thomas Jefferson for those first 6,000 books that started the ball rolling.
So happy you enjoyed my home town!
Robyn

Marilyn said...

It looks like you had a fantastic time.
Thanks for sharing the great pics of your trip.
Marilyn

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful trip, I have been for a short visit but never in those areas, just the museum.
Look forward to hearing about your latest adventure.

Debbie

marie said...

We visited about 15 years ago, it's something that should be on everyone's bucket list. We did 7 days and spent 10 hour days and it seemed like it wasn't long enough.

Rugs and Pugs said...

D.C. is very impressive. The Cemetery moved me to tears. So many sacrifices made by those preserving our freedoms. God Bless them!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Halland House Gifts said...

I visited DC in my early college years and loved it. It looks like you found some of the places I've been and some I'd like to go. I'm thinking it might be fun to plan a trip in the next few years while our son is still in high school. I know it's a place he'd love to visit. Thank you for sharing.